Sunday, December 19, 2010

Reading Between the Lines

There are two magazines in the fashion industry that every single person knows by name- VOGUE and ELLE. These two seem to be in competition with each other at all costs.. because of course, it is the fashion industry... everything is a competition. I have been an avid reader of both magazines for quite a few years now. Each time I would flip through, examining the advertisements for catchy items, sometimes reading the articles that actually appealed to me, and then go and place it on my bookshelf. Not this time.


First I read through the January 2011 VOGUE with beautiful Natalie Portman on the cover. The Editor-in-Chief, Anna Wintour, made a shout-out about the movie "The Great Gatsby" coming to theatres in 2012, which I am absolutely stoked for... but that is for another post. There was a whole page dedicated to "VOGUE point of view" with three words that caught my eye instantly- "A CLEAN SLATE." This is what really reeled me in to this specific issue. "...Let go of the old to allow something new and better to enter your life" is only one line of the inspirational passage that was ahead. Learning that my jeggings and leggings were going to be soon "out of style" didn't sit with me well, though, because it is my absolute favorite thing to wear lately. This whole semester of college I wore my jeggings almost every night. "The clean-lined, crisp, neo-minimalist clothes of the new year smack of modernity. For once, we truly haven't seen them before. The future is now" was a great ending to this page of genius thoughts. VOGUE readers would know that high waists, trousers, and wide legs are squeezing their way into the trends for this Spring. VOGUE really blew my mind this issue.


The January 2011 ELLE was also a glorious issue, with Sarah Jessica Parker as the cover girl. Joe Zee, the creative director, had a great section dedicated to L.A. and NYC and how different they are when it comes to different styles. He took six girls and dressed them like New Yorkers while in L.A. and vise versa. It was a cute little section that caught my eye. There was also a promotion for STYLE360 and the fashion shows that they put on during New York Fashion Week this past Fall. These two pages were full of celebrities, clothes, and models. This included a picture from the Indashio show that I worked, which (as I wrote about in previous posts) was an incredible experience. This issue also stressed the contrasting trends for the Spring/Summer 2011 season, which is whites and neutrals vs. bright colors. The "Ask E. Jean" section that ELLE has in every issue is always one of my favorites. ELLE really succeeds in putting fashion into a different perspective that is easy to follow.

It is shocking that both magazines stuck out to me in the same month, especially with how thin these issues are. With such beautiful meaning that is slowly but surely catching on to me, there are more to these magazines than just pretty models and boatloads of advertisements. Within are words of wisdom straight from fashion experts themselves. I am finally learning to read between the lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment