Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Fashion Group International- 11/16/10

Betsey Johnson and the group.
Today I attended a panel discussion put on by the Fashion Group International, Inc. at the Time-Life Building. In the beginning, there was a documentary shown about the fashion shows that were shown in the past fashion weeks around the world. These topics were covered: Color, Wool and Blends,  Function, Knits, Prints, Silk & Lace, 70's, Stripes, Fabrics, Accessories, Hair & Makeup, Evening Wear, and much more. It was organized quite well and very entertaining from the images to the music choices.

Betsey Johnson (fashion designer)
The wonderful panel!

Betsey Johnson, an amazing designer, was the leader of the day when she led the panel discussion between five industry professionals. These five were from InStyle, Neiman Marcus, Saks Fifth Avenue, Bloomingdales, and more. They discussed the topics of social media, craftsmanship, celebrities attending shows, trends, etc. Many laughs filled the room multiple times. The panel was extremely knowledgeable and interesting. It is great to see how the industry works outside of the classroom. Afterwards, I got a picture with Betsey herself. If you are unfamiliar with Betsey's work, take it from me that she is a pure genius. Brilliant and vibrant colors take over the runway during her shows each and every time. That's exactly what I love about her. I also just found out during this presentation that she is a breast cancer survivor; a little fact I did not previously know about the talented woman. She's such an inspiring designer.

Betsey Johnson and myself


Going to events like this really expands my knowledge of what is going on in the industry, and I love every part of it. Since fashion is constantly changing, I learn something new every day. Overall, this was a great event to attend, and I have my professor to thank for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment