Saturday, January 29, 2011

The Base Coat/ Top Coat Dilemma

Two of the most confusing things about nail care are top coats and base coats. So I thought I would shed some light on the subject.

Base coats are usually used to strengthen nails and protect them from the actual polish.

This is the base coat that I use. It's Rejuvacote by Duri and its awesome! It strengthens nails and helps them grow. It dries very quickly and is just overall great. It really works wonders if you have brittle nails or need to repair your nails after having tips or gels. I swear by it. It can also be used as a top coat.


Top coats are used to help the finished manicure set, along with protecting it from dulling or chipping

 This is the god-given Seche Vite. It's a fast drying top coat, and when I say fast I mean FAST! (Seche Vite is french for "dry quickly") It literally take about 7 seconds to dry. This stuff is a terrific top coat and I suggest it to everyone. And I have found that is does help prevent chipping.


This is Sally Hansen's Diamond Strength No Chip top coat. It says that it prevents chipping, and I have seen it go both ways. Sometimes it did prevent chipping, while other times not so much. It also doesn't dry as fast as some others, which it probably because it's actually supposed to be a "no chip nail color". Obviously, it's clear so there is no color. That kind of baffles me. But I guess it has the same drying time as regular polishes because its made to be a nail color (without the color).

There are also some really good OPI top coats. I haven't tried any of them, but I've heard good things. They are called Nail Envy and they have a special formula for every time of nails. From brittle to thin to sensitive along with one for regular maintenance, original and a matte top coat. (I'll probably be trying the matte!) They can also be used as base coats.

I hope this helped answer some questions, and if anyone has any other questions feel free to post them or send us an email!

Until next time,
The Wicked

No comments:

Post a Comment